Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sam Says The Darndest Things...

I just have to say that Sam is truly a "kick in the pants," you're never sure what will pop out of his mouth and when. Here's a couple of examples...

1. Last Sunday we were walking into church and behind us came a nicely dressed man. I had never seen him before but that's not saying much as we've been in Primary for the past year. Sam had been dauttling a little ways behind and found himself closer to this Brother than us. As he's running toward us he points his little finger back at the man and starts yelling "HE'S NOT A FRIEND, NOT A FRIEND!" Of course Kai and I were thoroughly embarassed but as Nicholas is starting Kindergarton where he will have to wait for a ride we had been discussing "Stranger Danger" quite thoroughly. I quickly grabbed the man's hand and explained to him what had been the topic of discussion in our house that week and welcomed him to church. I knelt down next to Sam and eventually got both of the boys to shake his hand and introduce themselves.

As we sat down in Sacrament Meeting I noticed the Brother sitting on the stand and quickly scanned the ward bulletin to find him a member of the High Council and speaking that morning. As the meeting started I could see him and the Bishop exchanging words and I felt as if they were staring at us, but we were in one of the first occupied benches and I must have been imagining things, right? Well Brother High Councilman stood for his talk and his attention grabber went something like this, "Today as I entered your building I greeted by Brother Elliott pointing up to me and yelling 'He's not a friend!'... I have to say I've never received a welcome quite like that before." I felt my face turn three shades of red as the entire ward was chuckling and I was sure that behind us everyone was staring at us as I struggled with the little guy who was trying to climb under the benches.

2. I'm sure you've all heard the Primary B-Day song. After Sam's party we were on our way home and I proceeded to sing this... "Happy, happy birthday Samuel dear. Happy days will come to you all year..." Sam starts crying in the back and protesting that he is not a Samuel dear "But you are my Samuel dear because you are sweet and loving." Sobbing Sam replies "I am not a deer I don't have horns!"

This little guy never ceases to amaze me and others with his quick thinking, witty personality, and heart-melting smile.

No comments: